Laurie A. Mack-Wagner
- Founding shareholder
As founding shareholder of Mack & Santana Law Offices, P.C., Laurie Mack-Wagner has been practicing since 1994 in complex litigation primarily in family law and related causes of action. Named as a Minnesota Super Lawyer for nine consecutive years (2011-2019), named on the Top 50 Women Super Lawyers List for Minnesota for four years (2013-2015, and 2017), and in 2017 named on the Top 100 Minnesota Super Lawyers List, Laurie focuses on developing creative and practical solutions for clients seeking assistance in family law matters and divorce cases. Laurie has efficiently managed multimillion dollar business and family law litigation including also family law litigation with modest estates. Laurie leverages her strong business background when faced with complex financial issues that often surround family law cases. With her practice based primarily in the Twin Cities area, Laurie frequently teaches at legal education seminars in Minnesota, and is the author or co-author of published articles nationally and statewide. Most notably, Laurie is the co-author of the child support chapter in the Family Law Financial Deskbook, first edition, 2008, and second edition, 2014, plus all the subsequent updates for both editions, from Minnesota CLE, and in addition, is the author of the Enforcement and Contempt chapter in the Minnesota Divorce Practice Deskbook, also from Minnesota CLE, new in 2015, plus the update in 2017 and the 2019 update, which is in process. Laurie is the author of, "A Cup of Coffee with 10 Leading Attorneys in the United States."
Prior to being named as a Super Lawyer, Laurie was featured in Minnesota Law & Politics, Who's Who in Family Law. Laurie is also a Qualified Mediator under Rule 114, which a provides a cost-effective option for those parties looking for a neutral professional to assist them with resolving their legal disputes themselves through agreement.
After graduating with Highest Honors in the top 5% of her class from Florida State University's College of Law in 1994, Laurie served as an associate at Carlton Fields in Tampa, a leading Florida law firm. At Carlton Fields, Laurie began her career in the business litigation arena, focusing primarily on complex corporate litigation, employment law and appellate practice. She also provided pro bono services for Guardians Ad Litem in juvenile court, and gave presentations on sexual harassment at various law seminars across central Florida.
Laurie was recruited from Carlton Fields by the Miami-based firm of Barranco, Kircher, & Vogelsang, P.A., a boutique litigation firm litigating massive family law cases with marital estates averaging several million dollars. The ability to litigate successfully with a team of litigators on complex business and civil litigation matters combined with her desire to make a difference in individual lives were a good match for litigating large-asset, complex divorce cases. During her four years at Barranco, Kircher, & Vogelsang, P.A., Laurie supplemented her family law work by handling other civil litigation matters in both state and federal court. She defended several insurance companies and employers in class action litigation, ascending to the level of co-lead attorney. While in Florida, Laurie was highly involved with numerous community and legal organizations throughout Florida, and served on the social committee of the Miami-Dade County Bar Association.
In 2000, Laurie left Florida and traveled to Minnesota where she has since been practicing exclusively in family law and related civil litigation. Laurie was able to bring her knowledge of managing complex family law matters in Florida to Minnesota to enhance her litigation and settlement of cases with a variety of complexity. Laurie first practiced for several years with a firm in complex family law litigation in the Twin Cities area. In January 2004, Laurie co-founded Mack & Santana Law Offices, P.C., to start a family law firm which focuses on compassion, strength and planning in times of personal crisis. While Laurie's emphasis has been complex family law litigation, Laurie's goal is service and excellence regardless of the size of case or what other experts or types of lawyers may be needed.
In Minnesota, Laurie is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association, the Hennepin County Bar Association, the First District Bar Association (past President), and the Eighth District Bar Association. With the Minnesota State Bar Association, Laurie serves as a judge in the MSBA High School Mock Trial Program. Laurie is also active in the Prior Lake Rotary Club and in the Junior Achievement Program. In her volunteer work with the Junior Achievement program, Laurie works with elementary school-aged children teaching them financial literacy skills and stressing the importance of having job skills and an education.
While at Florida State University College of Law, Laurie served as Associate Editor of the Florida State University Law Review, practiced before the United States Court of Appeals (11th Circuit) and worked as an extern clerk for Rosemary Barkett, former Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court. The school also awarded Laurie membership in the Order of the Coif.
Prior to studying at Florida State, Laurie received her bachelor's degree in 1991 from Mankato State University (Minnesota State University - Mankato). There, she double majored in Spanish and Business Administration with a concentration in marketing and spent a semester taking classes in Mexico at the Universidad de Guadalajara and Centro de Idiomas. Laurie graduated at Mankato State University summa cum laude and first in her class of almost 4,000. Laurie lives in Prior Lake, Minnesota, with her husband, her 17-year old daughter, 17-year old stepdaughter, and 15-year old stepson. She is an avid golfer and enjoys the lake lifestyle.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- Minnesota, 2000
- Florida, 1994
- Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida
- Honors: With Highest Honors, Top 5% of her Class
- Honors: Awarded Laurie Membership in the Order of the Coif
- Minnesota State University - Mankato
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Spanish and Business Administration
- Co-Author, Division of A Business in A Marriage Dissolution, Law Watch, Mansfield, Tanick & Cohen, P.A., Vol. 17, Issue 2, 2006
- Co-Author, Division of A Business in a Marriage Dissolution, Minnesota State Bar Association, Family Law Forum, Summer, 2007
- Appeared in national magazine to answer St. Paul reader's question regarding the protection and treatment of an inheritance in the context of a possible future dissolution of marriage, Appeared In, Spirit of Money, Body & Soul, September 2007, Tracy Fernandez Rysavy
- Co-Author, Child Support (Chapter 1), Family Law Financial Deskbook (Stephen Denis ed., 1st edition 2008 and subsequent update in 2012), Minnesota State Bar Association
- Preparing for the Client's Deposition in Divorce Cases, ABA, Young Lawyers, Family Law Committee, 2009
- Minnesota Divorce Practice Deskbook, Enforcement and Contempt chapter 2015, and subsequent updates (2017 and 2019)
- Co-Author, Child Support (Chapter 1), Family Law Financial Deskbook (Stephen Dennis ed., 2nd edition 2014 and subsequent update in 2018), Minnesota CLE
- Co-Author, A Cup of Coffee with 10 Leading Attorneys in the United States, Rutheford Publishing House, 2016
- Co-Presenter, Family Law and the New Bankruptcy Reform Act, 2006 to 2006
- The Basics of Child Support, Minnesota State Bar Association, Family Law Institute, 2007 to 2013
- Co-Presenter, The Basics of Child Support and Spousal Maintenance, Minnesota State Bar Association, Family Law Institute, 2007 to 2013
- Moderator, The Basics of Family Law, Minnesota CLE, 06/18/2008 to 06/18/2008
- Co-Presenter, Orders for Protection; Harassment Restraining Orders, Minnesota Paralegal Association's Annual Convention, 2008 to 2009
- Co-Presenter, Family Law Financial Matters, panel discussion on the 2012 Child Support Update for the Family Law Financial Deskbook and panel discussion on Common Financial Mistakes that Family Lawyers make in Divorce cases, Minnesota CLE, 05/17/2012 to 05/17/2012
- Panel Presenter, Emergency Proceedings: How to Effectively Advocate Emergency Issues in Court and/or Alternative Dispute Resolution Processes, Hennepin County Bar Association, November 13, 2013. Presented the attorney/litigator's role/viewpoint in process on panel which also included two Hennepin County family court judges and an experienced ADR provider.
- Co-Presenter, Family Law Financial Deskbook Seminar, Minnesota CLE, 05/16/2014 to 05/16/2014
- Moderator, Answer Questions from Participants at Family Law Financial Video Replay, Minnesota CLE, 06/17/2014 to 06/17/2014
- Co-Presenter, Divorce A to Z, Insider’s Guide to Commencing a Family Proceeding, Minnesota CLE, 2017, 11/01/2017 to 11/01/2017
- Co-Presenter, Divorce A to Z, Enforcing Judgments and Orders Seeking Attorney Fees, 11/01/2017 to 11/01/2017
- Co-Presenter, Practice Tips: Strategies for Success and Pitfalls to Avoid, Minnesota State Bar Association, Family Law Institute, 03/27/2018 to 03/27/2018
- Co-Presenter, Overview of Your First Divorce, Minnesota State Bar Association, Family Law Institute, March 26, 2018 and March 18, 2019
Honors and Awards
- Minnesota Super Lawyer
- Top 50 Women Super Lawyers List for Minnesota 2013 – 2015, and 2017
- Top 100 Super Lawyer Attorneys List for Minnesota, 2017
- Best Lawyers in America, 2016 - 2017
- Paul Harris Society - Prior Lake Rotary Club
- Who's Who in Minnesota Family Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- First District Bar Association, President, 2014 to 2015
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Eighth District Bar Association, Member
- Prior Lake Rotary Club, Member, 01/2009 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Barranco, Kircher, & Vogelsang, P.A., Associate
- Miami's Kohlman & Mack, P.A., Shareholder
- Carlton Fields, P.A., Associate
- Rosemary Barkett, former Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court, Extern Clerk
Pro Bono Activities
- Prior Lake Rotary Club, Member
- Junior Achievement Program
- MSBA High School Mock Trial Program, Judge