Call To Begin A Consultation
Prior Lake952-226-2015
View Our Practice Areas

Are you certain you really want a divorce?

The courts are not like other places you may go. When you file a divorce case in a Minnesota family court, you become subject to the jurisdiction of that court and the authority it is granted by the state Constitution. And while Minnesota family court is empowered to dissolve your marriage, it must follow the rules set up by the legislature and the state Supreme Court.

This means it can only accept certain types of cases or grant specific requests. If you ask it to do something that is outside of its authority, it will likely refuse as a couple in New Hampshire found when they asked a family court in that state to vacate a divorce decree they had obtained a year earlier.

The couple had been married for 24 years when they divorced in 2014. It appears that they reconciled their personal differences and apparently were business interests that were organized in such a way that "undoing" the divorce would have been simpler than remarrying.

The state Supreme Court denied their request, as the state law only permits a divorce decree to be set aside in cases involving "fraud, accident, mistake or misfortune." None of these conditions applied in their situation.

The high court was concerned that changing the standard would make divorce decrees appear less "final." Given the amount of litigation that develops surrounding divorce, child custody, child support and other related family law matters, it is likely the court wanted to reinforce the seriousness of obtaining a divorce.

If you have decided that your marriage is over and you need to divorce, you should first look at the consequences of a divorce with an attorney, including how it will affect jointly owned businesses.

Because divorce can affect all areas of your life, you should examine every aspect, from child custody to potential tax consequences caused by having to sell an interest in a business before invoking the authority of the court.

Source: nbcnews.com, "New Hampshire Couple Seeking to Undo Their Divorce Gets Turned Down," Associated Press, December 27, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

We Can Help Ask us how - please call our family law offices at 612-200-2822 or fill out the form below to arrange a consultation.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Offices Conveniently located in Minneapolis and Prior Lake
  • Minneapolis Office
    2100 Fifth Street Towers
    100 South Fifth Street
    Minneapolis, MN 55402

    Toll Free: 800-219-0858
    Phone: 612-200-2822
    Fax: 612-605-0968
    Minneapolis Law Office Map

    Prior Lake Office
    14093 Commerce Avenue
    Prior Lake, MN 55372

    Toll Free: 800-219-0858
    Phone: 952-314-2617
    Phone: 952-226-2015
    Fax: 612-605-0968
    Map & Directions

  • Minneapolis Office Map
    • VISA
  • Prior Office Map